The Massachusetts Daily Collegian Newspaper
Graphics Production Manager (May 2017 - May 2019)
Special Issues Manager (2016 - 2017)
Graphics Assistant (2015 - 2016)
Amanda Lorenzo, Zahra Fatehi, and Simon Nathans; Devyn Giannetti
and Hayley Johnson; Zachary Polak; Rebecca Duke Wiesenberg; Caroline O'Connor;
Philip Sanzo and Amin Touri; and Serena McMahon.
Designed skyboxes and sports story infographics. Rebranded the newspaper and created front page, special issue cover graphics. I worked directly with advertising clients to design advertisements. I created social media motion graphics. Hired and instructed Graphics staff on design software and principles. I made multilingual graphic design content for the Translations department. The Advertising Manager and I wrote an advertising guide, to make the process of buying newspaper ads less headache-inducing.
Newspaper Special Issue Covers
• A selection of six front cover graphics without any copy added.
• Left and Right I created moving and static advertisements for The Massachusetts Daily Collegian.
• Center During this time, I teamed up with the Advertising Manager to start an in-house advertising business to increase the advertising revenue.
The Massachusetts Daily Collegian Rebranding Guide
• Left Together the Editor in Chief, Managing Editor, Web Production Manager, Business Manager, and I redesigned The Massachusetts Daily Collegian logo. We also updated the website's typography to improve readability.
• Right "Your Voice. Your Language. Your Newspaper.," translated into Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Russian, and Japanese. A series of posters aimed at recruiting international students for the Translations department.
Selection of Newspaper Skyboxes
• Left Three skyboxes for the Arts & Living department.
• Right Three skyboxes for the Sports department.
• In my four years at The Massachusetts Daily Collegian, I designed 125 skyboxes for the newspaper.
• Left When The Massachusetts Daily Collegian decided to transition to digital, I happily made the leap. I soon discovered that a minimalist design approach was suitable for this medium.
• Right With each sports special issue, I was tasked with creating infographics for UMass Amherst players and teams.
+1 978 424 8149
Maxwell Zaleski © 2021–2023