Fitchburg Art Museum (FAM)
Freelance Designer (August 2021 - Present)
Marketing and Design Intern (May 2021 - August 2021)
Rebecca Wright, Vanessa De Zorzi, Christian Lopez, Lauren Szumita, Marjorie Rawle,
Dr. Nick Capasso, Laura Howick, the photographer Ruben Natal-San Miguel,
Timothy C. Johnson, and Jessie Olson.
Freelance Designer Duties —
The Deputy Director (DEPDIR) for Advancement and Administration and the Museum Director helped me design the 2021 Annual Report. I collaborated with the DEPDIR for Advancement and Administration, Marketing Manager, Curator, and Terrana Assistant Curator to design 3 flyers, 2 editorial graphics, 5 animations, and 1 postcard mailer to promote upcoming events at FAM. I tightened design unity across print and digital channels, by creating an aesthetic ecosystem with consistent motifs and colors. I edited six videos: three videos for the FAM's YouTube channel and three videos for FAM's Annual Meeting. I updated 4 web pages and created 3 new web pages on the FAM website. Together the new Marketing Manager and I broadened the #MondayMotivation Twitter campaign to encompass Instagram and Facebook. In addition to doing freelance graphic and web design, I wrote and applied for forty Local Cultural Council grants. Currently, I work with all FAM department heads and staff, directly with artists, printers, and local government officials.
Internship Duties —
I collaborated with the Marketing Manager to (1) create a campaign proposal and (2) design advertising collateral for an intermodal transit center and city bus. With help from the Marketing Manager, I designed the 2022 Calendar. I helped start two social media campaigns. I designed two web pages for FAM: one for the video lecture series Art Matters and one for eight photogrammetry scans of African and Oceanic art. Based on the Marketing Manager's input, I created 6 social media motion graphics using Cinema 4D and Redshift. I collaborated with the Director of Education to design three large Learning Lounge graphics and five labels. The Membership and Events Manager and Building Supervisor helped me produce a detailed plan of the Museum's interior spaces and grounds.
Spotify Music Playlist Campaign
• Offering museum-goers an alternative way to engage with museum art before and after visiting.
• An attempt to further tap into the 18-24-year-old demographic.
• Utilized the #FAMFEELS hashtag to create a stream of connected posts.
• The Spotify code on each playlist post is scannable and directs users to each respective playlist.
• Right The Vitruvian Man's Buff Brother. An enlarged cover graphic for a FAM's playlist titled Thurston. The playlist tracks and the rendered 3D model are based on Douglas Kornfeld's sculpture, Thurston.
Sculpture credit: Douglas Kornfeld (US American, b. 1955), Thurston, 2015, epoxy painted steel.
• Bottom Row The Moving Objects playlist artwork credit: Face Mask (20th century) by indigenous artist or workshop, Kru or Grebo people. The Discover Ancient Egypt playlist artwork credit: Figurine Of Horus (Egyptian New Kingdom, probably 19th Dynasty). Both photogrammetry scans are by Timothy C. Johnson.
Instagram Story Campaign
• Above Created three kinetic typography motion graphics for three permanent Instagram story covers: Welcome/Bienvenida, Exhibitions/Exposiciones, and Programs/Programas.
• This campaign strengthens FAM's brand continuity on Instagram, by using the brand's existing color palette and typography.
Fitchburg Art Museum Map with Floor Plans and Landscaping
• Above Modified an existing map of FAM to include the courtyard and the exterior sprinkler system. The floor plans of the Museum were reorganized according to floor plan conventions. I incorporated a scale to add clarity to the set of plans.
#MondayMotivation for Twitter
• Above This campaign highlights quotes from artists whose work is on view at FAM.
• #MondayMotivation is another social media campaign that seeks to establish regularity and rhythm in the content posted.
Maxwell Zaleski © 2021–2022